Depart Somers Cove Marina in Crisfield, Maryland, for a day-long birding cruise to historic Smith Island in the heart of the Chesapeake Bay – home to Maryland’s Official State Dessert, the Smith Island Cake! View many species of gulls, terns, shorebirds, herons, and a large colony of nesting Brown Pelicans. At midday, enjoy a walking tour of Tylerton and a hearty lunch of local island fare (lunch is included in the trip cost). After lunch, we’ll hike and birdwatch along the road between Ewell and Rhodes Point. The boat returns to Crisfield around 4:00 p.m. Transportation to Crisfield is not provided, carpooling is recommended.
Some common sense approaches to make your Smith Island boat trip more enjoyable:
- If you’re on a boat, bring a coat! Wear appropriate clothing and shoes for weather which can be much cooler on the water. It may be warm on the dock, but our bay waters may still be a little chilly in June.
- If you are subject to motion sickness, please take Dramamine or Bonine before departure.
- Bugs are a part of our natural environment. You can expect and prepare for flies and mosquitoes. Be sure to bring insect repellent.
- Carry sunscreen, sunglasses and/or a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring rain gear as all events are rain or shine. We only cancel trips due to dangerous weather, such as lightning or strong winds.
- You may bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks on the boat. No glass bottles, please.
- Try to arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled trip departs.
- Please bring a tip for the First Mate (suggested tip is $5). You may also want to bring money for gift shopping. Bring cash – there are no ATMs.
- Be courteous to your fellow birders. Speak quietly and turn off cell phones during trips.
- Please be courteous to the birds! We will aim to get close for photos, but not so close as to disturb breeding or nesting birds.
- Vegetarians & guests with seafood allergies must make their restrictions known for lunch. Please contact Jennifer Idzi at [email protected]
- Trips are subject to weather cancellations by boat captains, outfitters and guides. If we must cancel an event due to dangerous conditions, we will notify participants via email, and refunds will be issued after the boat trip.
Boat photo credit to Dan Harrison. Brown Pelican photos credit to Dick Plambeck.
Please register to reserve your spot on the boat and your fresh crabcake lunch! If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Jennifer Idzi at [email protected]
Sorry. This form is no longer available.