Here at Bayside, we value our abilities in offering unparalleled opportunities for family fun and togetherness. Time with loved ones at Bayside is precious, whether it’s kayaking with the kids, playing golf or tennis with friends, or swaying with neighbors to the sounds of a great outdoor concert. But, let’s be honest. Once in awhile you need to take a little time for yourself…
Imagine grabbing a cup of coffee and slipping out the door to greet the morning sun. Hop on your bike and ride to the Point to discover a new hobby or ignite an undiscovered passion. Start your day by sharing your personal story in creative writing, enhancing your wellness with a healthy cooking class or learning to arrange flowers beautifully. Spend a quiet afternoon learning unique local history or wind down another beautiful day in Fenwick Island with a wine tasting by the bay.
As an innovative year-round program, Bayside Institute will enrich lives by giving our members the gift of meaningful “me” time. Learn new skills, explore new subjects, embrace hobbies and share wisdom—in any number of fascinating interest areas. This is about you: “me” time is priceless.
Check out our class videos on YouTube!
Depart Somers Cove Marina in Crisfield, Maryland, for a day-long birding cruise to historic Smith Island in the heart of the Chesapeake Bay – home to Maryland’s Official State Dessert, the Smith Island Cake! View many species of gulls, terns, shorebirds, herons, and a large colony of nesting Brown Pelicans. At midday, enjoy a walking tour of Tylerton and a hearty lunch of local island fare (lunch is included in the trip cost). After lunch, we’ll hike and birdwatch along the road between Ewell and Rhodes Point. The boat returns to Crisfield around 4:00 p.m.
Transportation will not be provided. Carpooling is recommended.
Some common sense approaches to make your Smith Island boat trip more enjoyable:
- If you’re on a boat, bring a coat! Wear appropriate clothing and shoes for weather which can be much cooler on the water. It may be warm on the dock, but our bay waters may still be a little chilly in June.
- If you are subject to motion sickness, please take Dramamine or Bonine before departure.
- Bugs are a part of our natural environment. You can expect and prepare for flies and mosquitoes. Be sure to bring insect repellent.
- Carry sunscreen, sunglasses and/or a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring rain gear as all events are rain or shine. We only cancel trips due to dangerous weather, such as lightning or strong winds.
- You may bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks on the boat. No glass bottles, please.
- Try to arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled trip departs.
- Please bring a tip for the First Mate (suggested tip is $5). You may also want to bring money for gift shopping. Bring cash – there are no ATMs.
- Be courteous to your fellow birders. Speak quietly and turn off cell phones during trips.
- Please be courteous to the birds! We will aim to get close for photos, but not so close as to disturb breeding or nesting birds.
- Vegetarians & guests with seafood allergies must make their restrictions known for lunch. Please contact Jennifer Greenawalt at [email protected]
- Trips are subject to weather cancellations by boat captains, outfitters and guides. If we must cancel an event due to dangerous conditions, we will notify participants via email, and refunds will be issued after the boat trip.
Roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty! Choose from a selection of plants, flowers, and herbs to create the perfect planter to adorn your porch. Container gardens add curb appeal and supports pollinators that are so important for the environment! All supplies provided.
$20 for Members, $25 for Non-Members, Extended Family Members, and Guests of Members
Please register to reserve your spot in this class.
Everyone wants to look and feel their best. Lasers, Botox, and fillers, oh my! Come learn from board certified dermatologist Dr. Sara Moghaddam from Delmarva Skin Specialists on different options to refresh your appearance and rejuvenate the skin with the newest and latest treatment techniques.
Although this class is offered free of charge, please register to reserve your spot in this class.
Tour NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility! Discover some of the many amazing operations occurring at Wallops Island. Bayside Institute will experience the Orbital Rockets Tour of the facility, which will include a full itinerary of tours, fascinating information, and a boxed lunch. Space is limited to 18 participants and closed toe shoes are required. Full itinerary details coming soon!
8:30 a.m. – Depart from Bayside’s Welcome Center via passenger bus for Wallops Island
Please arrive at the Welcome Center at 8:15 a.m.
10:00 a.m. – Arrive at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility Visitor Center
12:00 p.m. – Boxed Lunch in Cafeteria (45 minutes)
3:15 p.m. – Departure
Your class fee includes transportation to and from Wallops Island, the tour, and a boxed lunch (which you will be contacted for following your registration).
The maximum number of registrations for this class has been reached. To be placed on the waitlist, please contact the Bayside Institute Coordinator, Jennifer Idzi, at [email protected]
Join us for a peaceful summer morning of yoga & art! We will move through a gentle yoga flow incorporating breath-work, meditation, and essential oils intended to balance our chakras and stimulate creative energy. Then we will create bracelets with beautiful stone and lava beads in colors that represent our Chakra energy centers. Lava beads are great mini-diffusers for essential oils too!
$30 for Members, $37 for Guests and Extended Family Members
Please register to reserve your spot in this class.